Thursday, January 21, 2010

Not sure if this is normal or not

So every morning I wake up at 5 Am to ride my bike 3-4 miles. It is really the only time I can exercise all day. However, recently I have a helper who is waking up with me. A has become almost scary on how he can sense when I leave the bed (yes he sleeps with me, all my kids have and they seem normal enough though some of C1's teachers might beg to differ). So at 5 AM here he comes down the stairs and then what do you do? No one else in the house is up and I cannot leave a 4 year old by himself. So now at 5 AM here I am biking in the dark with a kiddie carriage pulled behind my bike! I am sure I get strange looks!

Once we get back it is time to wake up C1. That takes 15 minutes. I have mastered the art of waking up a teenager. First there is the open door, some lights on in the hall and I call his name until he acknowledges me. Then I tell him "ten minute warning" and get the heck out of there before he can yell. I then spend the next 5 minutes making Cuban Coffee for him. Then another wakeup and a "five minute warning". Finally, five minutes later there is the final wakeup and I hand him the Cuban Coffee. So far it has worked everytime and I get no yelling or argument. Victory!

Next usually the RP comes sliding down the stairs on her behind. Finally, I go wake C2 and I have all four of my kids to eat breakfast with me every morning. It is a really great way to start the day!

4 comments:

Over-Caffeinated said...

And where is the queen when all this is happening? Enjoying the fact that she doesn't have to be the one trying the wake-up routine for the first time in her life? :)

Ian said...

She is fast asleep. The queen is not up before 7. This is all going on at 6 AM.

julian said...

My big girl slept with me until the night before she started Kindergarten. She decided that night that since she was going to big girl school, she should sleep in her own bed. Now my little one sleeps with me everynight. Now, she may sleep with me until the night before her Senior year in high school!!
I think it builds trust and bonding. I Lord knows, my girls know how to snuggle. I also remember sleeping with my parents every so often..It was so comforting and secure!
And I think its great that you take your little guy to ride your bike. I bet it will stick in their mind, and it will be natural for your kids to be active! Very cool!!!

Annie said...

That's too funny! We sleep in all sorts of arrangements in our house...though this has never been "approved" by foster care, who require all children to have their own beds in same-sex-only rooms.... My 23 year old daughter slept in a little (antique hired-man's bed) in our room until she moved out, and she is one of the bolder people I know. I think we read too much "pioneer" literature with the whole family cozy together in a little cabin. Always seems nice to me, too.

I'll have to try your teen wake-up method. Cuban coffee...tell me about this? Like espresso?