Monday, January 18, 2010

Now that winter is over it is back to the beach!










































Having survived both weeks of the brutal Miami winter, temperatures have now almost returned to normal. The crew is getting some much needed R&R on the beach!

The two youngest kids and I have been spending a lot of time at the beach. When I lived in Tampa we used to go to Disney World all the time. However, it is now sort of too far to Disney to just hop in a car and go. Disney now requires a hotel stay so it is not on the list as much. Sometimes A, the RP and I will go there and stay in some cheap hotel but in general we are trying to find cool things to do down here. The beach is certainly up there for us. We probably go at least once or twice a month.

Actually today it was not that warm. It got up to about 72 today and the crew and I decided to hit the beach to try out my new beach shelter.

If you are ever in the market for a beach shelter I would hands down recommended the ABO Gear Instant Max Pop-Up beach shelter. It is SPF 50 and sets up with only one person in a matter of seconds. It is a bit more expensive than most beach shelters but it is one of those products that is really, really worth the extra money. Take it from a guy who is constantly juggling multiple children and trying to set stuff up by myself.

Anyway. We went down to the Ft. Lauderdale beach and played in the sand for 3 hours! It went by so quick I was amazed. You would really not think that playing on the beach could keep a 3 and a 4 year old occupied but it sure did. After playing there though we got into the car and instant sleep! Both kids were out like a light until I got them home.

I was looking at these pictures and I realized it made it look like it was just us. There were actually a ton of people at the beach. However, the kids and I were at the end where the locals hang out. There were not as many people there since 72 is still a bit chilly for Floridians to hang out at the beach. If you went up the beach a quarter mile or so it was packed (which is why I don't go up the beach a quarter mile or so!).

2 comments:

Over-Caffeinated said...

Seriously Ian? Wah wah wah.... don't be crying to me about the brutal Miami winters! Only 72? How did you manage the beach in such brutal temps! :)

Ian said...

It was tough! My Russian daughter is now a confirmed sun goddess. She is addicted to sitting on the beach and playing in the sand.

The Wife does pine away for seasons though. She keeps talking about how great it would be if it was cold! I am spending a fortune on AC to "simulate" winter for her :-). Tampa actually had somewhat of a winter but Miami is crazy. It was 84 today! It is sort of weird to have no cold at all.