Friday, March 12, 2010

A Silly Made Up Song

So when my oldest child was only one, I made up a song to sing him to sleep. I have a horrible voice but none of my children seem to care. The Wife does care but it is not her I am singing to!

I had a starting and ending verse when I started 14 years ago and for each child I have added a new verse over the years. Each verse for each child is tied to a thing that child loved to do with me when they were young. Each verse captures a memory of my children. It goes like this:

Italic
Hey little boy
Will you play with me
He said "I'd love to dad
Just you and me"

For C1 I added
Hey little boy
Let's go to the park
We'll run and we'll play
we'll stay out past dark

For C2 I added
Hey little boy
Let's go to the pool
We'll splash and we'll swim
We'll look real cool

For A1 I added
Hey little boy
Let's go to the beach
We'll dig and we'll build
There's a lot I can teach

For RP I added
Hey little girl
Let's go to the zoo
We'll look at the animals
We'll act real cool

Hey Little Boy
Your Daddy loves you
He said "I know Dad
I love you too"


A silly song that I have now sung to four children. When I sing to the RP I have to change all the "little boys" in the song to "little girls" and all the "hes" to "shes". But the song still works and after 14 years it is still putting children to sleep.

(RP told me last night that "this is my favorite song daddy"

3 comments:

Annie said...

Instead of writing a response here, I made a post of it!

We need a sound file.

kate said...

Very sweet!

My daughter is adopted from Moscow Region. Is your princess from Moscow itself or Moskovskaya Oblast?

Ian said...

Kate,
We adopted my daughter from Fryazino about 30 KM outside of Moscow. So Moscow Region. My wife documented the whole thing on
http://therobsons-afamilystory.blogspot.com/

However, she since dropped off blogging and I started one.