Wednesday, March 31, 2010

El palacio del el jugos

So this week I became very bold. One of my coworkers and I have gone to a really cool Cuban place on Flagler a couple of times. It is called La palacio del el jugos (The palace of juices). The whole place is set up like a market. There are fruit and vegetable stalls and between them are food stalls. A huge amount of food cheap. And they make this drink out of pure sugar cane that is awesome! You literally watch them grind the sugar cane into juice and then drink it right there. It is a great place to eat but not somewhere you should go more than once a month if you don't want to gain 100 pounds or so.

The only issue? I have always gone there with a Cuban. No one working there speaks English. Or at least they will not admit they speak English. When you really get into Little Havana the people there often mess with you by speaking Spanish even when they know English. They especially like to do it to obvious Anglos like me. So for me to go to La Palacio meant I was going to need to test my Spanish skills. But I really, really wanted some food and juice last week so away I went.

As I walked in people sort of looked at me funny. Then the lady upfront turns around and says
"AquĆ­ viene un tipo blanco" to the folks behind here. "Here comes a white guy". I actually think she was trying to be helpful and see if there was an English speaker in the back of the room. However, I was ready! I boldly strolled up to the counter and declared "Yo necessito cinco tamales por favor y un guarapo tambien".The person then looked at me and said "Quince dolares". I paid my money, got my food and got out of there! A victory for the "blanco"!

Funny thing is that all this occurred in one of the largest cities in the United States. Welcome to Miami!

2 comments:

Over-Caffeinated said...

When we come to visit you, I DEFINITELY want to go there. I miss good Cuban food about as much as anything about Miami. That and sushi on Lincoln Road! :)

The Expatresse said...

Before I could speak Spanish, we used to go to a taco place in Little Havana . . . I think it was Nicaraguan . . . we discovered it at some food festival and took their card.

Anyhow, first time we go, the waitress comes over, looks up at us (we look VERY white), shrieked, and ran off to get a colleague (c'mon! we can order tacos in our, then, bad Spanish).

We persisted, and became regulars. They started writing "Los Americanos" on our ticket. LOL