Sunday, February 28, 2010

Feast Day







So today was the Feast day for St.Katherine Drexel, the patron saint of our local church. They really did it up for the event. The Archbishop was there and he gave most of the service. The whole thing was outside in a local park and the entire church showed up.

Then we had free hot dogs, hamburgers and cake! Well sort of free. They asked for donations and you sort of felt like you had to contribute something.

Afterwards there was a big fair that everyone hung out at until 4 PM. Lots of people brought chairs and blankets and there was a DJ. For the kids we had bounce houses, a rock climbing wall and a bunch of games (sack cloth races, soccer shootouts, etc). The kids had a blast. Except A got sunburned so now I feel like a bad parent for not putting sun block on him.The sun kind of snuck up on us. In the morning we were all in coats but by 1 it was sunny and warmer. So I ended up carrying around a whole bag of coats by the afternoon. Some people left and came back in shorts!

Ana had her first cotton candy also! She voted a big yes on the American treat!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Wow! What impresses me most??? Hard to say!

The sunny weather?
Your daughter's darling outfit?
Your cute little boy?
Such a marvelous parish festival?

When I was her age I HATED cotton candy! I could not imagine such a horror! Because they called it cotton candy - and the first touch in my mouth had a cotton texture! Ick! Now I am grown up and more, I sort of like it, hate to say.

We had some around a couple of weeks ago. We used it for a lesson on parables. I had the children who had had cotton candy try to describe what it is LIKE to those who hadn't had it. i.e. Jesus was describing what Heaven was LIKE. I hope they remember the concept they enjoy having the cotton candy, certainly!

julian said...

When My Anna was 2 we went to the Miami Zoo. We did the bike thing! OMY!! I was sore for days. Her favorite was the gorilla. And of course the pig in the petting zoo!
I like that Zoo much more than most, since the animals have more room!
But hoooottt! It was early August!
We may look into the Train Museum for this summer. (I like to take a trip to Miami from Naples each year!!)
I like to take suprise trips!
I bet your little guys just loved it!