Wednesday, June 3, 2009

About Me


I like to remember small things about the places I have been. Somehow it makes it more meaningful if I can remember a small street scene instead of some big tourist moment. When I forget those I think it is time to go back to that place so I can experience it again.


In my life I have been blessed with the opportunity to travel the world and see much of what is worth seeing. I have:

Been to more states in the US than most people visit in a lifetime

Sat with my wife and son in a hookah bar on the rooftop of a building in Mumbai and ate some of the best food in the world

Jogged along a canal in Amsterdam while the girls in their little glass booths tapped the glass at me and yelled encouragement

Stood in June under an incredible Melbourne night sky and watched people ice skate outside

Walked though the city with my wife and watched the Queen of England ride into her palace in London

Skied down a mountain at night and looked out over the Vancouver skyline

Sat in a Starbucks in Paris with my son and watched the struggle as they tried to be nice to the Americans

Stayed up way too late for an old man like me drinking pints of Guinness with a bunch of crazy Irishmen in Dublin 

Swam in a blue, blue sea in paradise in the Carribean

Argued in broken Spanish with a taxi driver in the depths of Matamoras, Mexico

Sat by a clock tower in Prague and drank a beer in the same place people have been drinking for the last 1000 years

Walked through the blast doors deep under Moscow and rode the Metro with a bunch of Russian soldiers 

But probably the most amazing place I have been in is the desolation of a Russian Orphanage where a hundred children sit silent and were I met my beautiful, beautiful daughter

No comments: