Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A year later for RP


The Wife was quite frustrated with me today. She said the line that all men dread to hear "do you remember why today is special?". I went through the usual frantic mental check; birthday-no, anniversery - no, special event - hum. Turns out it was the one year anniversary of our meeting my daughter for the first time.

Today one year ago I was sitting in a Russian orphanage trying to coax this scared little girl into my arms to start getting to know me. It was rough going at first. For the first couple of days we were just trying to get to know her. By day three she started to warm up.

I think the ladies in the orphanage can really judge how to "move a child". They know you have to rope in dad and that most men are easy sops for a cute girl. On day three my daughter announced "papa!" when I walked in. I was lost.

Today I came home and my daughter ran up to me screaming "daddy, daddy, daddy". She is a bouncy, happy child who laughs easily and loves to play. She runs, giggles and generally acts like the happy child she is.

We have many more years of fun to look forward together. I am just happy that my life was blessed with the wife and children that I have.

1 comment:

The Expatresse said...

Awwwwwww!

That's so nice.

Lots of hugs to all of you.