Monday, June 1, 2009

Hello World

Hi Everyone,
  I am the father of three healthy and mostly happy sons. In 2008 my wife and I went on a Russian Adventure and adopted a beautiful young girl in Russia. So now the six of us are living in South Florida and trying to live our lives to the fullest!
  This blog will mostly be about my wife and kids since they provide the entertainment in my life. To introduce them I have C1 (14 years old), C2 (11 years old), A1 (3 years old), RP (Russian Princess) and finally the Wife. However, if I think there is fun stuff to chat about  I reserve the right to talk about anything.
 I will also try and figure out how to link to blogs I like. I follow a couple of blogs about people raising adoptive children and a three or four blogs about americans living in Moscow.
  When I was in Moscow I really fell in love with the city (though it was admitedly spring at the time) and I fully plan to go back there at some point. The Wife laughs at me though since I read the Moscow blogs since I miss the city but every blog is about how tough it is to live in Moscow! So maybe it is better to live the Moscow dream versus the Moscow reality! 
  I expect to get better at this blogging stuff as I progress so please have some patience.


1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

My daughter has lived in Moscow for 5 years this month (Not that I and the other grandparents are happy about that as we miss our kids and granddaughters.). Both she and my SIL have spoken fluent Russian since their teens and now my almost 9 and 6 1/2 granddaughters also are fluent.

Moscow really is a beautiful city and I love all the gold domes and beautiful buildings. Wasn't standing in Red Square for the first time just awe inspiring? Since I was a teenager during the years of Kruschev and The Bay of Pigs, etc., I could picture all the news coverage of him reviewing the Army as they goose stepped by him in the reviewing stands during the May Day celebrations in Red Square.

I hope you had time to tour inside the Kremlin and see all the icons, Faberge eggs, etc.

This year I visited my daughter over Victory Day Weekend (our Mother's Day) with family friends and being in Victory Park for the Victory Day celebration with thousands of Muscovites was an experience I'll never forget. I left them and ventured as close as I could get to the performance area and was moved by the patriotic music, singing and you could feel the same sense of country pride that we have on our July 4th celebrations. I didn't get lost and made it back to where my group was waiting for the fireworks to begin.

Moscow in winter has brown slop covering the sidewalks and streets as they do not plow and shovel as well as we do here in New England. It is several inches deep and splatters all up the back of your boots and slacks. You have to wear high boots or you'll be filthy. I was there for two weeks and we never had a big snowfall like I'm used to in CT. It would snow often but only a few inches.

The stores are so expensive that my daughter brings everything back with her to Moscow that they'll need for 6 months. A Barbie that costs under $20 at Walmart sells for $65 at the toy store in Moscow.

It's wonderful that you plan to bring your daughter back when she is finishing high school and is old enough to really appreciate her native land.

Enjoy reading my daughter's blog, The Beet Goes On and Winds of Change.