Thursday, June 4, 2009

Who is this Giant in my house?


My oldest son graduated from middle school last night. As I watched it happen I kept thinking over and over "who is this giant in my house?".  I still remember the little boy in his T-ball uniform. Now I have a 190 lb , 5'11" giant tromping though my life. I remember lifting him on my shoulders, now he carries his little brother and sister on his sholders and we walk side by side. 

My oldest son and I were always very close. I have never been a father who shied away from alone time with his kids. By the time my son was one we were off on adventures that often lasted entire weekends. He would ride on my shoulders through Disney World with a diaper in one pocket and wipes in another. We spent hours together. Mom often took the opportunity to rest (since I was away all week at work), so it was just me and him.

As he turned 10 or so the adventures began to slow down. Suddenly I could not just pick him up and go, I had to ask if he wanted to go and more and more he did not. We still spent time together but it became less of a constant adventure and more of a treasure I grabbed when I could.

These days I grab what time I can. I am keely aware of the sand moving through the clock. I have 4 more years before he leaves for collage. I intend to grab what time I can from him between now and then.

One thing I have learned is to treasure time with all my kids. One day it will end and I will look back on it with a vague longing.  Right now my life is full of the chaos of four children and I am loving every minute of it.  

2 comments:

Ron and Dinia said...

Hi Ian!

Just found your blog. Can't believe that smashing the strength thingy on Arbat did not make your list of life's impressions!

Love the blog and the love you have for your family radiates from your blog!

Good luck with the move

Miss you guys~

Mom said...

It will be more than a vague longing. It will be downright loneliness!!! Mom